Sunrise in Monument Valley

Sunrise in Monument Valley

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Oshkosh, Wisconsin

As we drove from Lake Linden, MI to Oshkosh, WI we noticed the leaves were actually changing to more Fall colors. It was amazing how much MI looked like Maine.



 We arrived at the Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground in Oshkosh and it was the most disappointing campground we have ever seen. It sounded like a big complex on line when I reserved 2 nights there. I had reserved a DELUX 50 amp back-in site with full hook ups and a concrete pad. The sign entry at the campground said to check in at the front office which appeared to be in the back of the CG. The office was locked, no lights on, the bathrooms were locked, there was no laundry, no internet and the CG was empty except for 1 trailer near the back that seemed to be occupied. There were 3 others that looked like they were being stored there. There were lots of big trees with acorns and hickory nuts.


I called the number to the CG and got an answering service. I told her my name and that we had DELUX reservation for 2 nights and there was no one there and where was our site?. She said "just pick a site". The only way you could find a site was to look for the water /electric post and sewer in the grass. There was no delineation of individual sites. We ended up backing in to a 30 amp site near the front. There were 2, 50 amp sites but by the time we walked the whole area and found them we had already settled in. 

This CG was a dump--speaking of that there was no dumpster either. Later in the evening someone named Jeff knocked on our door and asked about us. We told him we had reservations for 2 nights. He didn't know anything about it. I told him I had made them on line and I paid $108 and I had the receipt. I asked him where the deluxe sites were that I paid for. He pointed over behind the office which you couldn't see. When we went over there it was horrible. He said he uses a service for booking and an answering service for calls. Sounds like he wasn't interested in anything but collecting the money. Other than the trailer at the end of the CG we were the only ones there. It was strange they had put little pumpkins on the posts.


I took Bentley for a stroll around, but didn't venture too far. It was pretty creepy. We did get a good night's sleep since there were no people or dogs to disturb us.

When looking in the map I notice we were only about 16 miles away from the new Primative Gatherings shop in Larsen, WI. They had just moved from their original store to a new 4000 sq ft store in Larson, so after going to Walmart for cat litter and food and Best Buy for a battery for David's camera and breakfast at Perkins we headed to PG.


They now had everything in one place. They had a large retreat center in one building.



The other building had the shop, which was only about a 50 x 50 sq ft area, their storage dept. shipping dept, for mail orders,  wool dying dept, carpenter shop and Lisa's work studio.



The outside of the buildings were white and black and the inside was grey and black. Old and new quilt sample hung all around. The older ones were larger and the newer ones a bit smaller. There were mostly wool applique samples. I recognized several as I have quilted some of them for my customers. The shop had a lot of stuff crammed into a small space which is the way they do their sales booths at quilt shows. It was a bit too cramped for my taste. It would have been nice to have more of that square footage used to spread out the items for shopping.


The samples were labeled with the bin number so that you could locate either a pattern or kit. Most of the kits were for table runners, pillows, etc.


I did get a table runner kit and some Valdani thread. The shop was definitely full of wool projects.

They were not real busy when we got there. They had 2 to 3 staff in that area. Not one of them said "Hello", or "Welcome" or asked if I needed any help. When I was ready to check out I stood at the checkout counter for about 15 minutes waiting for someone to come check me out. Not only did they not walk over to help me, but one never even looked up at me, even though I was in their direct line of sight. Another walked past me several times without looking or speaking to me. Finally she walked up and asked it I was ready to check out. I said, "Yes, I am". Then she walked over to another computer and started entering something on it. Eventually, she came back and checked me out. The staff here needs a class in how to deal with customers. It certainly isn't like that in my area of the country.

Back at the CG I tried to get Bentley to go for a stroll, but he didn't want to be disturbed, so I took Nickie. He was a good boy, but we didn't go very far in this weird CG.




Our next stop is Kieler, WI.



No comments:

Post a Comment