Sunrise in Monument Valley

Sunrise in Monument Valley

Friday, September 20, 2013

DAY 9 SHOPPING DAY

Lancaster County has more fabric shops than any place I've ever been. There are 3 on the same street in Intercourse (which I will visit tomorrow). Wednesday I wanted to visit some new ones or ones that were a little farther away (like 10 to 25 miles).
It was such fun to program the GPS and see where it takes us. The route went all along the back roads, pass the farms, houses, small little townships and business. We would never find these places without a GPS. A grand tour of the area.

The first new place we came to was Martin's Fabric Barn. They had fabric downstairs and crafts and other items upstairs. I never made it upstairs. Their hours were 8AM to 9PM except for Sunday when everything is closed. Those are the latest hours I've ever seen for a fabric shop.They did have lots of fabric. Cotton fabric, upholstery fabric, polyester dress fabric, and a good selection of notions. No patterns to speak of. Their prices were about $7.49 per yard and FQs for $1.75. The bolt fabric was good quality name brands. They didn't have collections per se, but nice fabrics for an excellent price. I bought a few FQs and some greens for my applique projects. You can never have too many greens for leaves. Wish I had a project in mind with such good prices.



Here's Martin's and right across the street is a corn field. They did have beautiful roses planted out front. These shops are all run by the Mennonites and the girl in this one was not very friendly. Rather abrupt. David patiently waited in the car and read while I was in the shop. No following me around and trying to help me pick out fabric.
 
.
Our next stop was to Sauders. I usually go there when I am here and it is a bit different in that their shop is in the basement of a house, but it is huge!!!!! The selection of fabric is also huge. They carry flat fold (nameless fabric) for $2.99/ yd. Their bolt prices are good quality and good prices. I found some fishing fly fabric that will work great for a hand embroidery fish quilt I will someday make. That was $5.00/yd and they had 10% off everything in the store. I also found a cute cloth book panel and bought 2. One to make for Emma and one for Becky to make for Graysen. Wish I had projects in mind,very good prices.

Then we went to a new shop in East Earl called Family Farm Fabrics. It was not a farm, but  close to a large intersection. It was interesting as they has lots of Moda fabric for $9.25 a yd, but all other fabric was $7.99. I didn't find anything there I needed except a coral batik for the BOM I am working on. Nice shop, but I think I was shopped out at this point.

Right down the road was our favorite place to grocery shop in this area, Shady Maple Grocery. They have the greatest section of everything to eat in the area. Their vegetables are local and their fruits are spectacular. They have a fresh bakery, deli and meat counter along with regular groceries.
 
.
 
 

Look at the size of these bell peppers and their nectarines. I tried no to take photos in the store, but couldn't resist. We had 2 main purchases on our list, chicken pot pies and whoopee pies. Their chicken pot pies are so good, just full of vegetables. We always buy several and freeze them. That's what's for dinner tonight. For desert we'll have whoopie pies. They have usually a very large selection, but today not so much. We did find the large chocolate ones. The best!!! Also bought some pumpkin and toll house ones to freeze for later.
.

We'll share one of these for desert.
.

Chicken pot pie tonight.

We sat outside tonight with the kitties in their playpen. They were still nervous with the cars, buggies and horses going by and the smell of fresh manure from the dairy across the way. Poor kitties, they lead such a sheltered life. We did have a nice lady named Ann Marie come by with her kitty Hiddie in a stroller. See---we're not the only nuts with kitties in strollers. She had been to visit the shops across the way with her kitty and stayed to see our boys. I think Bentley was upset that someone else had a stroller similar to his.

Thursday we plan to  visit a couple of more shops closer by and who knows what else. I love this place.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an ideal day. It has to be if you got shopped out. That grocery store sounds nice - even the name - and your supper was the perfect ending to the day. I bet the whoopie pies aren't as good as the ones David makes. Looking forward to seeing the fabric for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whoopie pies were pretty good. They were too big to eat by yourself, so we shared. David's are great and smaller. They had one in the store that was about 9" round--party time. The secret to a good whoopee is the icing, if it's too sweet it's not as good.

    ReplyDelete